Facts and fancies

Ambigram Dogma I am god. Mirror symmetry (vertical axis).
Palindromes


A palindrome is a word, sentence, or verse that reads the same, forward and backward, from left to right, or from right to left.

The Latin language abounds with palindromes, but there are few good ones in English.

The following will serve as specimens.

Madam, I’m Adam. (Adam to Eve.)

Able was I ere I saw Elba. (Napoleon loq.)

Name no one man.

Red root put up to order.

Draw pupil’s lip upward.

No, it is opposition.

The last has been extended to: “No, it is opposed; art sees trade’s opposition.”

In Yreka, California, is a baker’s sign which maybe called a natural palindrome: “Yreka Bakery.”

Charles C. Bombaugh, Facts and fancies for the curious from the harvest-fields of literature, J. B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, 1905

Photo: Ambigram Dogma I am god. Mirror symmetry (vertical axis)Wikipedia /Basile Morin;  pngwing

Palindromes:  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

No comments:

Click Here To add Comment

Post a Comment

Blogger Widgets